Life at International Space Station
Can we imagine that while eating, fruits are floating in the air? Can we think of swallowing our tooth paste while cleaning our teeth? It sounds weird right? However, these weird things are part of day to day routine for our astronauts who stay in International Space Station. This article is short walk through of life at international space station.
International space station (ISS) is a unique place, which is a consolidation of technology, human innovation and science. The astronauts stay there on a mission of 6 months or more. And life there is very challenging because of micro gravity. The ISS is a laboratory, in which an international crew of 6 people live, work and travel at a speed of 5 miles per second and orbit Earth every 90 minutes. The crew members far from their families and loved ones; live, work and research continuously for the new advancements and research projects. The day of the astronauts is well planned by the team on the ground. They stay in contact with the team and crew members give them updates of their researches on the scheduled calls.
I have gone through some videos on you tube and some articles to get the information related to ISS. It’s a great learning I must say. The first ISS took off on 31st October 2000. It’s been more than 16 years. And guys, I was really not aware about this information much. It feels exciting to know that, astronauts are human like us, but they are able to manage their life there in space, and you know they are happy to share their experiences on videos, apart from the research and work they do, they enjoy, they sleep, they eat, they have their fun activities, and they exercise. They cannot WALK, Micro gravity make their life challenging there. For making this possible the countries involved in this are NASA (USA), Roscosmos (Russia), JAXA (Japan), ESA (several European countries) and CSA (Canada) all pitched in to build it.
In one of the articles on NASA website it is said that “The space station has been continuously occupied since November 2000. In that time, 222 people from 18 countries have visited. Crew members spend about 35 hours each week conducting research in many disciplines to advance scientific knowledge in Earth, space, physical, and biological sciences for the benefit of people living on our home planet.”
Is it not amazing guys to know about this unique place ISS? Some important fact about the life of crew members in space:
- They sleep for 6-8 hours a day, and some private compartments and sleeping bags have been provided to them, so they can set themselves in it and don’t move while snoozing. As there is no up and down, so they keep floating everything because of no gravity.
- They are liable for exercising 2 hours daily to keep fit. As in space due to micro gravity, there is loss of muscles mass and the calcium of bones diminishes. To prevent from this situation, they have been provided with special exercise machines. So exercise is mandatory activity for the crew members.
- They have to eat packaged food, which is mostly frozen food, frozen fruits. Which they collect from the storage compartment in their lunch breaks and consume.
- They swallow their own tooth paste while cleaning the teeth, as they cannot spit because it will start floating here and there. Their toilets are also special not like we have on earth. They are made of vacuum pipes.
- On Fridays, they have a movie night, they enjoy, watch movie and spend good time. As they work and research a lot, so they deserve some fun too.
- For their leisure time, and fun; videos, movies and music have been provided to them.
- Some of the astronauts says “the most amazing pass time for them is looking outside the window of the space station”. They experience beautiful scenic view, of sun rise and sun set, and the lightning effects in the evening.
So guys, if you find this interesting you can go through some videos to know more, sharing the links below. I got to know about this ISS from my friend. Thanks for this interesting topic Aditi.
Be happy, keep smiling, count your Blessings!!